LS&S is seeking an innovative and dynamic Library Director for the Shasta Public Libraries located in beautiful Shasta County in Northern California. This position works from the main library in the county seat of Redding. Located along the picturesque Sacramento River, Redding is home to almost 100,000 citizens. Redding is a tech savvy area supporting a thriving startup business segment, with over 40 startup businesses calling it home since 2000. The Redding library covers 55,000 square feet. The other two branch libraries in this system are in the City of Anderson and the Town of Burney.
The Library Director 2 supports the LS&S mission, vision, and values through exceptional leadership and dedicated customer focus. The Library Director 2 is responsible for ensuring contract requirements are met in a multi-site location library system (up to 3). The Library Director 2 will lead a team of library staff members in multiple locations who are committed to creating a thriving library in the heart of their community. The Library Director 2 will be responsible for building a strong partnership with their local official(s) and managing the customer relationship. Library contract value from 1 to 5 million dollars.
A successful candidate for this position should have a demonstrated record of innovative project management, the ability to exercise good judgment, along with the ability to communicate effectively and positively with various government and community groups. Ability to lead and inspire staff with creative new ideas for increasing library services while growing the use of and support for library services among the public and strategic partners is also very important. This highly visible position requires a proven leader capable of working closely with Redding and Shasta County officials and inspire a full-service customer-focused organization.
LS&S is the premier and most respected provider of library management and data services to state and federal Government Agencies. We partner with our library clients to provide world class service and professional expertise; protecting their library investment. With a proven track record, we utilize a team approach - providing accountable, unique and responsive solutions to delight library users. With already over 80 locations across the United States, LS&S is on a rapid growth pattern with plans for expanding our business.
• Manages with integrity, honesty and knowledge to promote the culture, values and mission of LS&S and creates thriving libraries in the heart of our communities
• Evaluate library environments and key operational indicators to identify problems, concerns, and opportunities for improvement
• Coaches Library staff to help achieve operational goals; monitors and manages staffing levels in partnership with Regional Manager; seeks Regional Director input / Keeps Regional Director informed
• Develops the library system's team to deliver excellent patron experiences in all service locations.
• Implements action plans that meet operational and organizational objectives
• Keeps current with library trends, issues and technology as well as political, economic and demographics issues that may affect library services and standard programming
• Plans and executes local, regional and company initiatives to achieve both operational excellence and business results. Follows up consistently to ensure accountability to plans
• Utilizes existing tools and best practices to ensure effective library operations
• Utilizes and helps Library staff utilize management information tools and analyzes financial reports and other library related data (usage, demographics, trends, etc.) to identify and address library system trends and issues
• Oversee the selection, acquisition and processing of library materials to meet public needs within the structure of library selection policies and budgetary limitations
• Evaluates and supports the performance of Library staff in their library system
• Responsible for the local management of the customer relationship (city/county officials, governing boards, library boards)
• Regularly solicits client, other stakeholder and patron feedback to understand client needs and the needs of the local community
• Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
• Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices
• MLIS or equivalent required
• Four years of multi-site supervisory experience preferred
• Five years of progressively responsible library managerial experience and/or administrative functions of a library to include analyzing and applying financial reports and library related data (usage, demographics, trends, etc.) preferred
• Experience in a role that requires frequent interaction with patrons, fulfilling the requests of patrons and responsibility for addressing patron issues, questions and suggestions
• Moderate complex programming and financial analysis experience
• Demonstrates moderate experience in a complex, fast-paced environment
The Library Director should demonstrate competence in all of the following:
• Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
• Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
• Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
• Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
• Creativity/Innovation: Develop new and unique ways to improve operations of the library and to create new opportunities
• Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters
• Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
• Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization
• Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
• Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities
• Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results
• Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem
• Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization
Employment with LS&S is strictly contingent upon the successful completion of our extensive background and reference check process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. To be considered for the job, all applicants must submit their application online at https://careers-lssi.icims.com/.