Shasta Public Libraries is located in beautiful Northern California, serving a population of approximately 180,000 residents. Shasta Public Libraries consist of three branch locations; Redding, Burney, and Anderson.
The Redding location currently has a temporary opening for a part time, 20 hour per week, Literacy Assistant. This temporary position will be for September 2017 thru May 2017.
The Literacy Assistant will work with the Literacy Coordinator in ensuring the Adult Literacy program is running smoothly, and that the volunteer tutors are supported. This position is scheduled yearly, September through May.
LS&S is the premier and most respected provider of library management and data services to state and federal Government Agencies. We partner with our library clients to provide world class service and professional expertise; protecting their library investment. With a proven track record, we utilize a team approach - providing accountable, unique and responsive solutions to delight library users. With already over 80 locations across the United States, LS&S is on a rapid growth pattern with plans for expanding our business.
• Establishes regular communication with program adult tutors and learners
• Ensures hours reporting of participant hours
• Tracks learning material and resources
• Supports and provide necessary assistanct to volunteer tutors
• Maintains record of current program participants and appointments
• Assists literacy coordinator with special events and trainings
• Conducts learner intake interviews in absence of Literacy Coordinator, when needed
• Know and understand the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read Statement and Freedom to View Statement, recognizing that freedom of access is a fundamental tenet of a public library. In addition to these freedoms, support client discretion of materials available at your local library(ies).
• Follow all legal and policy requirements related to patron privacy and custodianship of patron records
• H.S. Diploma or GED
• Two years of library experience preferred
• Basic knowledge of library systems and databases preferred
• Ability to work a regular schedule that may include a combination of days, evenings and weekends
• Excellent customer service skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal
• Multilingual speaking a plus
Employment with LS&S is strictly contingent upon the successful completion of our extensive background and reference check process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. To be considered for the job, all applicants must submit their application online at https://careers-lssi.icims.com/.