LS&S is seeking a Children's Librarian at the Palm Desert Library. Palm Desert is a scenic and busy place situated in the Coachella Valley of Southern California. Explore the area with its scenic vistas, clean environs, shopping options, recreational and educational opportunities. Plus, reasonable proximity to airports and the Greater Los Angeles Area, and an appeal hard to match will be created so that you might not want to ever leave. More info on the city can be found http://www.palm-desert.org/home-tourism and http://www.cityofpalmdesert.org/residents.
The Librarian 1 is the entry level position to the Librarian job family. The Librarian 1 works alongside members of the Library Management Team and with other key stakeholders to develop policies, procedures, workflows and sustainable approaches for a variety of library programs and services. With more senior Librarian or Director oversight, works both independently and with other staff to execute small to large scale projects.
LS&S is the premier and most respected provider of library management and data services to state and federal Government Agencies. We partner with our library clients to provide world class service and professional expertise; protecting their library investment. With a proven track record, we utilize a team approach - providing accountable, unique and responsive solutions to delight library users. With already over 80 locations across the United States, LS&S is on a rapid growth pattern with plans for expanding our business.
• Coordinates and executes a variety of programs and initiatives for for the library
• Evaluates basic statistical data and prepares basic statistical reports and surveys for the library, LS&S management and other entities i.e. local government/customers
• Processes, creates and edits bibliographic and item records for the library catalog
• Maintains and updates the library social media presence and webpage and may support social media of other branches
• Provides reference and computer help to patrons
• Serves on committees and at times may serve as the chairperson for committees
• May handle opening and closing responsibilities; counting money, completing daily cash reports
• Be responsible for the collection management process
• Be a proficient readers advisor
• Know and understand the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read Statement and Freedom to View Statement, recognizing that freedom of access is a fundamental tenet of a public library. In addition to these freedoms, support client discretion of materials available at your local library(ies).
• Follow all legal and policy requirements related to patron privacy and custodianship of patron records.
• MLS or MLIS degree required
• One year librarian experience preferred
• Proficiency in MS Office suite including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
• Knowledge of online library databases and services
• Excellent customer service skills
• Excellent communication skills– both verbal and written
• Able to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, evenings and weekends
Employment with LS&S is strictly contingent upon the successful completion of our extensive background and reference check process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. To be considered for the job, all applicants must submit their application online at https://careers-lssi.icims.com/.